This morning, Sarasvàti Productions held its annual season launch reception, Power Up! Approximately 30 members of the media and community attended the event in order to get an exclusive sneak-peek of their exciting and ambitious 2014-15 theatre season. The launch took place at the University of Winnipeg Asper Centre for Theatre and Film, the home of FemFest 2014: She’s Got the Power, the 12th annual festival of life-changing theatre by women for everyone.
Highlights of Sarasvàti Productions’ 2014-15 theatrical season include:
– FemFest 2014: She’s Got The Power– FemFest continues to be Canada’s primary festival for female playwrights. FemFest takes place from September 13-20, 2014 at the University of Winnipeg Asper Centre for Theatre and Film (400 Colony Street). Highlights from the festival include the world premiere of The Naked Woman by Rebecca Gibson, last year’s Bake-Off winner, and touring productions from Canada’s top female artists.
– Giving Voice – Sarasvàti Productions has teamed up with VOICES: Manitoba’s Youth in Care Network to produce a new play by and about youth in and from care. Giving Voice will tour Manitoba high schools in the fall and provide students with the opportunity to engage with and learn from the important social issues addressed by the play. The tour will run from October 13 to November 28.
– So You Think You Can Act! – February 18th at the Gas Station Arts Centre will see the return of this wildly popular fundraiser that pairs local celebrities with Winnipeg actors. Full evening line-up and event details to be released in the upcoming months.
– International Women’s Week Cabaret of Monologues will run again from March 3-8, 2015 with the theme Super Women!, exploring both fictional and every day super heroines. A national call has gone out for monologues and they will be performed in various community venues.
– Miss N Me – this hilarious and powerful play by two-time Governor General Award recipient, Catherine Banks is about a small-town hair dresser’s cross-country journey to meet rap star, Missy Elliot. Miss N Me runs from May 21st to May 31st, 2015.
Sarasvàti Productions would like to thank Cake-ology and Diversity Foods for their generous donations for the launch.