Sarasvàti Productions is hiring an ASSISTANT ARTISTIC DIRECTOR for the fall of 2019.
Sarasvàti Productions is an independent theatre company with a vision to transform society through theatre. As part of long-term succession planning, we are hiring an Assistant to our current founding Artistic Director with a vision to transfer knowledge and ultimately transition leadership. We are seeking a candidate interested in moving in to an Artistic Director role and willing to make a long-term commitment. As a small organization, all staff manage multiple responsibilities in order to maintain programming and keep the company functioning.
To begin, the Assistant Artistic Director’s main responsibilities will include:
- shadowing the Artistic Director at FemFest 2019 and for the wrap up of the 2018/19 fiscal year
- assisting in programming decisions for the rest of the 2019/20 season
- learning about and fostering community relationships
- working with the team to coordinate logistical elements
- joining meetings with potential partners and exploring outreach
- assisting the Artistic Director in networking, creating visibility for Sarasvàti Productions, and speaking on behalf of the company at events
- learning about and aiding with fundraising work, including grant-writing, donor relations, and sponsorship
- assisting with human resource management, including staff supervision and management
- assisting in script creation, dramaturgy and the realization of the artistic vision of the company
- possibly moving in to assistant directing shows in the season with an eye to taking on a directorial role in the future
- other duties as required to realize the season programming, including budgeting and contracts
- collaborating with the Board of Directors to ensure realization of the company’s vision and mission
- recording processes and procedures for future reference, as well as creating an annual workplan.
The ideal candidate will bring the following expertise and abilities:
- directing and dramaturgy experience
- excellent organizational skills with a methodical and thorough approach to work
- good at juggling tasks and prioritizing
- able to self-initiate and work independently
- outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- ability to work in a team environment
- leadership ability
- strong computer skills
- business experience or experience with finance and human resources management
- knowledge of the local arts scene
- as well as a passion for the arts and social change.
Sarasvàti Productions is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from all candidates.
This is a one-year position that would transition in to a permanent leadership role. The starting rate of pay will be negotiated to match experience. The position will be based out of the Sarasvàti Productions’ office. For more information on the company please visit our website – www.sarasvati.ca. To apply please forward your resume and cover letter by e-mail only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for application is August 9th or until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
This position has been made possible by the Winnipeg Foundation.