On August 4th Sarasvàti Productions held its annual season launch aptly titled Envision… Over 60 members of the community attended the event in order to get an exclusive sneak-peek at the exciting and ambitious 2017/18 theatre season. Full details will be available on our website in the coming days.
We are excited to share these highlights :
– FemFest 2017: Coming of Age – FemFest celebrates 15 years and continues to be Canada’s primary festival for female playwrights. FemFest takes place from September 16-23, 2017. The launch highlighted the Winnipeg premiere of Two Indians by Falen Johnson. The festival will also include the return of award-winning playwright Judith Thompson and a first-time partnership with the West End Cultural Centre to host Tomboy Survival Guide by Ivan Coyote. Full details at www.femfest.ca .
– International Women’s Week Cabaret of Monologues will run from March 4-10, 2018 with the theme I Am Unstoppable. Pieces will explore stories of meeting challenges, overcoming obstacles or simply living life to the fullest. A national call has gone out for monologues and performance pieces, which will be performed in various community venues.
– New Beginnings –The world premiere of the full-production of New Beginnings will run May 22 to May 27, 2018. We began work on this play over a year ago by working with the newcomer community to tell their stories in a multi-media experience.
– Workshop Series – We will continue to offer on-going skill-development workshops to emerging artists and youth. This year, our popular informal mentorship meet-ups Coffee with a Pro will continue as well as sessions on technical elements, monologues and making a living as a theatre artist in Winnipeg. After a very successful pilot project in the North End, we will continue to offer workshops and mentorship opportunities to serve youth in our North End neighbourhood.
– Plus two fundraising events! After our inaugural Women’s Comedy Night sold out last year we will be offering an early and a late show this year on November 15, 2017 once again hosted by Daina Smith at the King’s Head Pub. Stay tuned for details on a gourmet perogie night in June 2018.
This season we are envisioning a future full of inspiration and possibility!